Saturday, September 17, 2011

DIY Homemade and Personalized Whiteboards!

We all know the benefits of whiteboards:  save the environment, get to easily change/update lists, blah blah blah :-).  But who really wants the traditional, college looking whiteboard in their house?  I sure don't.  However, at best you will find a stainless steel whiteboard.  This is better, but I think the most fun is making your own, personalized whiteboards to match the decor in your house.  This is a surprisingly simple project, that will leave you with all of the benefits of a whiteboard, and the personal touch you want in your home.



Materials Needed:


A frame of your choosing.  When choosing your frame consider the size, and the frame itself.  It does not matter if you buy a frame with any special matting (i.e. a collage frame) or just a cheap simple frame:  what you are looking for is the frame itself and the size you want/need.  I chose a 12x12 frame for our kitchen, as I always have a lot to write there, but simple 5x7 frames for the bedroom night-stands.

Paper or Fabric in the pattern you want.  I have only done this with paper, as I will be demonstrating, but I suppose fabric would work just as well.  It would be a ton of fun if you could find fabrics that either coordinate with your pillows or your bedspread!  I had a huge multipack of scrapbook paper, and just chose some out of there.

Scissors or a paper cutter.

Dismantle your frame.  Simply take the back off, and the papers out.  Clean the glass, and your frame is set.  I told you this would be easy!

Cut your paper/fabric.  The easiest way to do this is to take the stock photo they use, and cut your paper off of that.  Cut it to the same size, and voila!  Two steps down in no time.  Some things to think of:  if there is a specific part of the pattern you wish to highlight, then make sure to place your stock photo over that.  Similarly, if you have a pattern with lines going one way or the other, be careful to cut straight.  A paper cutter is not necessary for this step, however I have one and found it much easier, as I am not gifted with the ability to cut straight lines!


Place your paper/fabric back into your frame.  Last step!  Just place your paper or fabric back into your frame as if it is a photo, put the back on again, and you are done!  Easy breezy!




I hope you enjoy your whiteboard!  Comment a link with your masterpiece :-)!  I would love to see it!  As always, if you have any questions, let me know and I would be happy to help!

Yours in Beauty and Love,
Marijke

No comments:

Post a Comment